Organic Red French Clay (Illite)
From: £0.75 Inc. VAT
Organic, red French clay is great for drawing out dirt and toxins from the skin, leaving it feeling cleansed and rejuvenated. A great addition to hair & body masques and cleansers. Red clay is best suited to dry or sensitive skin types.
Organic Red French Clay
INCI: Illite, Kaolinite
CAS Number: 1332-58-7, 12173-60-3
Country of Origin: France
General Description: French red clay is a combination of illite and kaolinite making it less absorbent than green clay and better suited to drier skin types. Packed with iron oxide, it lends fabulous colour to cosmetic formulations, and leaves skin and hair with a natural shine. Note that this should not be confused with Moroccan rhassoul clay – the two share many properties but are not the same.
Skin Type: Dry, Sensitive
Uses: Excellent for body wraps, cream based cleansers, masques and facial & body scrubs. This fine red clay tones and clears the complexion leaving dull & tired skin glowing and silky soft. It is especially recommended for skin with capillary damage.
Guidance on using your clay:
- When creating masques, use 5-40% clay
- To hydrate your clay, sprinkle it onto the water or hydrosol (rather than adding the liquid to the clay). Wait for it to absorb the liquid before stirring. This will help you to achieve a smooth, lump-free paste.
- Try adding fragrant oils, carrier oils and herbs to create a more luxurious product
- Remove the clay masque before it dries completely – the clay is only active whilst wet. To extend the active period you can spray the clay with water or floral water to keep it wet.
- Detoxifying Bath – sprinkle 200g of clay into your bath water to draw impurities from all your skin.
- Clays will dissolve in extreme pH environments
General Information on Clays:
- Natural and organic cosmetic grade clay
- Supplied in a re-sealable, airtight pouch to keep your clay dry and fresh
- Not irradiated or washed (baked at a high temperature to kill off microbes)
- No added colours, preservatives or fragrances
- Free from polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) and dioxin contamination
- Colour may vary from batch to batch
- SDS and COA available on request
- Store in a closed container, dry and out of direct light
- 2-4 year shelf life
- Coloured clays may stain
There are many different grades of clay available, including those designed for industrial, agricultural and crafting use. When using clays on the skin, it is very important to purchase cosmetic grade product. These clays have been carefully graded and treated to control microbes and ensure purity. Considerably cheaper pricing is one of the main indicators of a non-BP product that may not be safe or suitable for use on the skin.
When buying clays, always check the INCI and SDS – common English names and added colours can be misleading and you may not end up getting the product you needed.
100g, 1kg, 200g, 500g, Sample